added
prices
info pages
A grasshopper watch or....

LastDodo Naturalia catalogue

ITEMS IN CATALOG
ITEMS IN COLLECTIBLES
ITEMS FOR SALE
In the Naturalia catalog you will find an overview of all naturalia on LastDodo. Find the watch that is still missing in your collection here.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 3 messages
  • January 22, 2024 17:17
added
prices
January 22, 2024 17:17
Thank you. I added the Polinices lacteus in my shop (1 item with quantity 2, because both shells look the same). I added the Magallana gigas as different items because they look different.
Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 6 messages
  • January 14, 2024 13:51
added
prices
reviews
January 14, 2024 13:51
Hello Collector,
I understand the question. My answer may be complex, but I will limit myself to a few points:
- The lowest level of description for shells is not species, but subspecies. The description model that we use in Last Dodo at Naturalia contains this level.
- A distinction must be made between specimens of a species that do not look exactly the same (= variation in specimens) and official subspecies.
- Official subspecies (subspecies) are scientifically described as such and have a three-part Latin name (e.g. Amphidromus perversus borneensis). I include this type of subspecies in addition to the 'original' species that is Amphidromus perversus (perversus). For some species of land snails such as Amphidromus perversus and Liguus fasciatus, we know as many as 100 official subspecies. Such subspecies often occur in geographically separated areas (niches). It makes sense that this mainly occurs in land snails, which, unlike sea snails, can disperse over much more limited areas.
- Collectors often collect down to subspecies level. They don't lump species and subspecies together. LAST DODO is primarily a site for collectors!
- Major auction sites (see Shellauction.net) offer subspecies separately! There are often large price differences between subspecies. (Based on rarity).
- You will find similar problems in other catalogs (at last dodo). With stamps, for example, we find separate items for completely identical-looking stamps, based on the fact that they are self-adhesive or not, or are cut differently, etc. In catalogs (e.g. Michel) they have different numbers. Last Dodo also records these side by side.
As far as I'm concerned, you can also pass this answer on to your colleague who asked the question. I understand that someone who does not know this collecting area well, nor the international rules of taxonomy, comes to this question.
Greeting,
Jan Delsing

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,354 messages
  • January 14, 2024 09:07
added
prices
info pages
reviews
jandelsing
Via a PM from 015steef500 I understand that it concerns different shells being entered as 1 item.
This is of course a problem with the Naturalia section, because these items are not made in series by people. Each shell will differ from each other in details. In order to be able to identify them, Naturalia are divided into Class, Species, Family, Kingdoms, Order, Tribes, etc.
What should not happen is that different sub-species, etc., are included in 1 item. For each determination at the lowest level, 1 LD item is entered. The photos may show several shells of this identification.
Show original message
  • 702 messages
  • January 14, 2024 08:14
added
prices
jandelsing Collectioneur
Isn't this against the Lastdodo rules?
Show original message
  • 6 messages
  • January 14, 2024 00:05
added
prices
reviews
January 14, 2024 00:05
Hello Brunhilde,
Two things: Crassostrea gigas is now officially called Magalana gigas. So there you will find the species in Last Dodo's Dbase.
I discovered that Polinices lacteus was already in the Dbase, introduced before my time. I just added Magalana using one of your photos.
Greeting,
Jan

Show original message
  • 6 messages
  • January 13, 2024 23:05
added
prices
reviews
January 13, 2024 23:05
Hello Brunhilde,
I can help you a little further. The shells on the Belgian beach are indeed oysters. Two species are eligible: the common oyster (Ostrea edulis) that you get in the restaurant and Crassostrea gigas. I'm pretty sure the species you found is Crassostrea gigas. Google both names and you will come across images. Crassostrea gigas is often a bit more elongated and you will often find purple spots on the inside. The edge is less crenulated (serrated) than the normal oyster.
- I have difficulty identifying the second shell. It appears that the layers are natural outgrowths. The shell itself (its shape) is therefore hardly recognisable.
- The round shells are definitely Polinices lacteus. (google it!) They belong to the Naticidae (moon shells) family. This species occurs in the Canary Islands, but also in the Dominican Republic, throughout the Caribbean. When collecting shells on the beach, always note the location. That can sometimes be decisive in the determination.
I'm busy adding more and more shells to Lastdodo's Dbase. I have not yet introduced either type. I will enter them as soon as possible so you can add your own photos. You can also enter them yourself, and I will fill in what you don't know. Use photos of the intact copy for the Polinices. Very important for identification is the slit on the left side of the mouth edge. The first second photos of Crassostrea are fine.
Nice that you are participating!
Jan
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,354 messages
  • January 13, 2024 21:04
added
prices
info pages
reviews
BrunhildeTaens
Enter per (sub) type in the catalog.
This can possibly be done in consultation with jandelsing
Different sites do not produce different items.
Show original message
  • 3 messages
  • January 13, 2024 14:07
added
prices
January 13, 2024 14:07
after approval message from Jandelsing:
Thank you very much in advance for your time. Here are some photos:
I collected the first large series of oysters (Japanese?) a few years ago on the Belgian beach (I think near Oostduinkerke).
The 2 smaller round ones (also oysters?) with layers, I don't know where they come from (I collected them myself, maybe also on the Belgian coast, maybe in the Dominican or Tenerife...).
The 3 round white snail shells are certainly not from the Belgian coast, I am almost certain that they come from the Dominican (1997).
Is it worth publishing this and how would you bundle it?
Show original message
  • 6 messages
  • June 26, 2022 16:07
added
prices
reviews
June 26, 2022 16:07
Hello,
I leave it up to you to delete any data you think doesn't belong here.
Greetings,
Jan
Show original message
  • 702 messages
  • June 26, 2022 13:07
added
prices
I would remove the private information from your post if I were you
Not needed for the request
Show original message
  • 6 messages
  • June 26, 2022 11:55
added
prices
reviews
June 26, 2022 11:55
My name is Jan Delsing. Years ago I supplemented the Naturalia section with a number of shells of the genus Haliotis. (see there). I am a pur sang collector with a scientific interest, and besides stamps, especially shells have my attention. Over time I have acquired a lot of knowledge about Mollusca (Gastropoda, Bivalvia, Chitons) sea snails and land snails. I have a lot of taxonomic knowledge, can quickly identify and classify the more common species. At the time I chose to work on the Czech site BIOLIB (www.biolib.cz). Most of the input (photos, descriptions, etc) in the field of Molluscs I took care of there. I still do, and with great pleasure. If you look at the website you will get an idea of my expertise. I do want to perform activities as an administrator on Last Dodo, and especially enter a lot of photos of species that are not yet present, with their correct name and taxonomy. And help to correctly name imported shells, whose name is missing or incorrect. Given the time-consuming task on Biolib, my contribution will be modest. There are many shell collectors. I was at the shell fair in Antwerp this year and it was quite busy there. One thing is that the shells on lastdodo are very hidden under naturalia. If you are interested, please email: [.....] Without the necessary permissions, I can of course do nothing. It is not clear to me who is currently managing the shells. I've emailed Martin Rijerkerk, but so far no response. If someone else is active as an administrator, please let me know.
Sincerely Jan Delsing
[ Personal data has been removed by moderator, you will be contacted about your administrator question]
Show original message
  • 5 messages
  • February 05, 2022 15:23
February 05, 2022 15:23
I know something about saw teeth
Show original message
  • 1 message
  • January 25, 2017 13:13
January 25, 2017 13:13
Good day I also have an unprocessed potvus tooth My dad got this through their grandpa. Which has been in possession since 1905. From what I have heard it said ..... unfortunately I have nothing in black and white. To be honest, I don't know what to do with it. Also, don't get to know much about their exact prices on the internet, if I want to sell this. Then this is not possible via this site, or does someone have an idea of value? Gr jeroen
Show original message
  • 1 message
  • January 17, 2017 14:10
January 17, 2017 14:10

Be careful with bracelets in so-called natural amber or amber.

They are just fake.

Also check the providers, as soon as they receive a negative review, they stop there and they start under a different name.

Much comes from Lithuania.

Show original message
  • 1,110 messages
  • May 31, 2016 09:33
added
prices
reviews
https://www.google.de/search? amber
Show original message
  • 2 messages
  • May 30, 2016 21:50
May 30, 2016 21:50

You are absolutely right. I never thought of looking in the van Daalen.

But amber is a perfectly good and correct word if you don't want to get confused with the fragrance.

Your surprise about those prices remains justified, sometimes very strange. It does of course happen that an ethnic necklace from, for example, Morocco with, among other things, plastic amber beads is sold for a lot of money. The good old ones rarely have really amber beads. But also mostly melted and molded copal beads.

This makes it quite difficult or impossible to judge what is what from a photo.

Bakelite beads have the best value, the phenolic resin beads are often beautiful to look at but cheaper.

Show original message
  • 523 messages
  • May 30, 2016 17:02
added
prices
info pages
reviews
  • 2 messages
  • May 30, 2016 14:34
May 30, 2016 14:34

How come many people think that amber is the same as amber?

They are confused with the English word!

Amber is not made into jewelry it is a fragrance (gray to dark gray) and comes from a sperm whale.

And those who criticize the so-called amber are right, it is often copal (at best) or bakelite (also old) or very often phenolic resin or other plastic.

Show original message
  • 64 messages
  • October 03, 2015 22:45

I am always amazed at the high prices that are achieved on amber that I don't think is real amber.

As an example I will quote this lot:

http://veiling.catawiki.be/kavels/2877795-amber-beads-necklace-large-olive-shaped-beads

I have 5 of those identical chains here, but it is a kind of bakelite, everything is identical, come from very old household effects, 1950s.

The amber test done with black light, with salt water, with static electricity. Mine are fake.

What if you paid 1400 euros to a private individual who thinks it is amber and also the expert who can determine on a photo whether it is really amber?

I have my doubts about it.

Show original message
  • 2,413 messages
  • September 13, 2015 18:56
added
prices
info pages
reviews

If you think that something has been entered incorrectly in the CataWiki Catalog, you can already change it yourself. That's the beauty of CataWiki.

The problem, however, is that there are also many duplicate items or items that have been picked and used from other sites. Then an administrator can intervene quickly by rejecting such an item and then he disappears from the Catalog. In addition, the administrator can also send a message to the importer and report what he did wrong.

If something is rejected, this has major consequences for the collector and certainly for the Catalog. It is therefore important that the administrators are experts in that field. As mentioned, Catawiki is always looking for new administrators, so you can register by sending an email to Arco (at) Catawiki.nl.

I am very curious and I hope you will cooperate. to make CatWiki a better Catalog.

Good luck and above all, have fun!

Show original message
  • 1 message
  • September 10, 2015 22:26
September 10, 2015 22:26

I also want to contribute. My specialty is shark teeth.

I already saw that there are several teeth that have been incorrectly identified.

(So work to be done ;-))

Show original message
  • 1 message
  • July 25, 2015 22:16
July 25, 2015 22:16

That's right, is a fossil shark tooth. 4 cm is quite a large tooth. In Zeeland (Zeeuws Vlaanderen) you can find quite a lot of fossil shark teeth on the beach. These are usually a lot smaller 1-1.5 cm.

Show original message
  • 1 message
  • July 13, 2015 20:31
July 13, 2015 20:31

I think an Isurus hastalis .. common shark tooth.

Show original message
Go to page
25of 45