25of 42
  • 289 messages
  • August 23, 2023 10:48
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Managing LD is not unknown to me.

Glad this is in the basic manual. Strict rules that deter many collectors because they are not integrally applicable to every collecting area. I think it also says a lot about the quality of data, among other things. It is very low with Barbie. Look, you can't look back at a collecting area for 15 years and then impose strict frameworks that don't fit, then you won't be any further in 15 years. Or you opt for a quality boost and work more Agile, depending on the collection area. Ultimately, that will benefit the catalog.

Has anyone ever wondered why there are hardly any women active on LD? Why dolls and bears are managed by 2 men? Why do people quit LD? Why certain collection areas are not getting off the ground? Why are there so few administrators and management is carrying water to the sea? Answer these questions and you will know why LD does not or no longer appeal to many collectors. Look, everyone has their own collection, but do you mainly want to focus on collections of giveaway items and items that are devalued immediately after purchase (many books) or do you want to be there for all collectors? And isn't it a sport for collectors to get hold of items? And isn't a catalog intended to give you an idea of the missing items in your collection? And ghost items, well, when you have moderators who moderate seriously and know their stuff,.. You can also go too far in rigidity out of fear. By the way, the use of my own photos is not under discussion here, so I will not use them.

I won't be able to devote as much time to LD as I used to, but would love to moderate Barbie. As far as I am concerned, the question is mainly the course that LD wants to take.
Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,415 messages
  • August 23, 2023 08:01
added
prices
info pages
reviews
1955-chevy
The administrators of a category determine how the items should be entered. The handbooks serve that purpose, if there is no specific handbook for a section, the Basic Handbook applies.
This includes art.

The item in the catalog here is the doll, the packaging is often also important, but it is not the item.
Items in other categories are also sometimes in blister packs, photos of which do not always give a good impression of the item in question. So the choice of metalfigures is fine.

The discussion about self-made photos and so-called ghost items has already been discussed many times. Unfortunately, some items were introduced in the past that later turned out not to really exist. We want to prevent this as much as possible by requiring our own photos/scans.
Show original message
  • 289 messages
  • August 23, 2023 00:11
added
prices
info pages
reviews
I think LD is a catalog. Once filled with items no one owned. I want to put my wish list on LD, what's wrong with that? What is the "List of Search" option different for? And how interesting is the value of those dolls to you, what I give for them is my business. Not really relevant to this discussion at all, right?

Back to the discussion. There are play dolls and decorative dolls. Both are also collected in their box. You don't take coins out of their protective packaging for the photos, do you?

I provide unity through photo editing. Little bite ready I can tell you.

So far nobody has looked at the Barbies section and now that I take the time to do so, frames are presented that make LD as a catalog for many items, including Barbie, completely uninteresting. You can simply say that every Barbie is bought in its packaging, right? Then why not use it as photo 1. Aesthetically better than the Barbies usually shown that have been played with.
Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 752 messages
  • August 22, 2023 22:29
added
prices
info pages
reviews
I take pictures during fairs and with collector friends. So it concerns photos that are free of rights, which I have collected over the years.

I conclude that you only have the photos, but not physically the barbies yourself, that makes you more of a Barbie photo collector.

2789843 not a fan of ready-to-eat kibble.
562743 ? your photos are just there shifted one place.
562729 (see my previous post) I had to choose between your bite-sized chunk or a photo with the right clothes taken by a collector, was not a difficult decision.

And I understand that you can't contact everyone, but I'm going to assume that you check the user profiles and the generic quality of the input before taking any actions.

That's right.

Further in response to your message: I advocate not posting a photo of the unboxed item with Barbie. Collectors do not want dolls that have been out of the packaging, only in very exceptional cases (scarcity) do they deviate from this. That means that pictures of Barbies can rarely be taken out of their box and that when they are, they are original old dolls or dolls that have been played with and whose hair sticks out in all directions, clothes no longer fit and accessories are missing. I don't know anything about other doll collections, but I do know that you usually can't paint apparently similar collection areas with the same brush. The pursuit of uniformity for the entire collection of dolls would not be appropriate in my opinion.

There are more collectors who have Barbies without a box than with a box and of course they also preferred these with a box, but yes, those price tags do not lie. With Barbie it reminds me of old Star Wars figures or Dinkie toys, those collectors also want to come with original box and complete, but the facts and catalog prove otherwise. Another reason to first buy the doll and then the packaging is that you cannot see the Barbie properly due to the blister (reflection) and often text on the blister. And why would you only put photos of the packaging (including Barbie) in the catalogue, while you also have photos of Barbie only, after all, 12 photos can be placed per item. So my preference is already known to you (pm) but will also put it here photo 1. front doll / photo 2. back doll / (utopia; photo 3 and 4 side doll (is a lot to ask, I realize)) therefore photo 3 front packaging photo 4 back of packaging photo 5 to 12 legal bite-sized chunks or your Barbie photos that you have made at your friends and at Barbie fairs with sellers and exhibitors. LastDodo is about a catalog by and by collectors where they can add their collection with the accompanying information and not a slick catalog with photos of new items that the person in question does not even own. After all, these are real collectors with real collections.
Show original message
  • 289 messages
  • August 22, 2023 19:34
added
prices
info pages
reviews
I take pictures during fairs and with collector friends. So it concerns photos that are free of rights, which I have collected over the years. I do indeed see that a 'bite-sized chunk' has ended up between my photos, which I apparently saved in the wrong folder. That shouldn't have happened.

Can you indicate why you have changed the photos of the following items?

And I understand that you can't contact everyone, but I'm going to assume that you check the user profiles and the generic quality of the input before taking any actions.

Further in response to your message: I advocate not posting a photo of the unboxed item with Barbie. Collectors do not want dolls that have been out of the packaging, only in very exceptional cases (scarcity) do they deviate from this. That means that pictures of Barbies can rarely be taken out of their box and that when they are, they are original old dolls or dolls that have been played with and whose hair sticks out in all directions, clothes are no longer sufficient and accessories are missing. I don't know anything about other doll collections, but I do know that you usually can't paint apparently similar collection areas with the same brush. The pursuit of uniformity for the entire collection of dolls would not be appropriate in my opinion.
Show original message
  • 752 messages
  • August 22, 2023 18:36
added
prices
info pages
reviews
1955-chevy
I've already sent you a pm too...
I have only rejected 1 item from you and explained to you why, that you cannot put photos with watermarks in the catalogue.
Mediocre photos have been taken by a collector who has the item physically, and if the clothes don't belong, well we'll do it first, until someone has the item complete and then put the good photo on it.
And if I have to discuss with everyone the how and what comes of managing, not much either, for example why you 1955-chevy exchanged a mediocre photo for a bite-sized chunk of internet photo, because for me it has its own photo moderately or no more valuable than an internet photo even if it is not copyrighted.
Show original message
  • 289 messages
  • August 22, 2023 17:17
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Never noticed stripspeldjes , but yes. If you can't restrain your interest, I've performed a lot of my own collection.
Show original message
  • 2,219 messages
  • August 22, 2023 17:02
added
prices
info pages
reviews
All aside:
Curious as I am, I wanted to take a look at the track record of 1955-chevy, but when I click on the link behind "Input catalog items" in Facts, I get the 404 page. What's going wrong there?
Show original message
  • 289 messages
  • August 22, 2023 16:43
added
prices
info pages
reviews
I'm in the process of updating the Barbies, but find that several of my adjustments are undone by bad photos of Barbies wearing clothes that were never released as a set, with half of the accessories missing. Etc. unity is created when all Barbies are shown in their boxes. Why doesn't admin metalfigures contact me before undoing everything. I'm not exactly new to CW...

Just stopped, you know.
Show original message
  • 752 messages
  • March 15, 2023 09:24
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Now even easier
Steiff Mecki
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,415 messages
  • January 04, 2022 15:07
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Doke
Is this version of Mecki already in the section Dolls and bears?
Because then you can also refer to a certain item when you ask a question. If not, would you be willing to enter these into the catalogue?
A number of Steiff items are also already provided with a catalog value.
Show original message
  • 1,815 messages
  • January 04, 2022 14:11
added
prices
info pages
Doke
There are really hundreds of them for sale on the internet, so why don't you look up what they're worth for the price.
Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • January 04, 2022 13:52
January 04, 2022 13:52
Hi Morris, Do you have any idea who can tell me if they are worth anything? I think the enthusiasts are here. Greetings
Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • January 04, 2022 13:50
January 04, 2022 13:50
Where can I get this appraised to sell? I think the collectors are here and have no idea what's the price?
Show original message
  • 2,219 messages
  • January 04, 2022 12:55
added
prices
info pages
reviews
There are undoubtedly collectors for this, but this forum is not the place for appraisals.
Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • 4,226 messages
  • January 04, 2022 12:32
added
prices
reviews
Doke 
please no ads in the forum
Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • January 04, 2022 11:35
January 04, 2022 11:35
[Moderator - Any registered user can list items for sale in his/her shop. The forum is not for advertisements].
Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • January 04, 2022 11:32
January 04, 2022 11:32
Beautiful Steiff Mecki hedgehog from 1950 with backpack. What is this worth? Are there fans for that?

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • February 09, 2020 12:55
added
prices
info pages
reviews

See 7916573 . Bought from a lady with a lot of stuff from the 1880s / 1900s. Does a doll expert know the origin and whether the 1930 estimate is correct?

Detail: choice in the catalog at material is papier mache, it is papier-mâché.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • October 17, 2017 14:01
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Just entered the catalog. I don't understand hand puppets. The only information I have is that they are around 1900.

See scan 3 for an overview of the "set of 5" and the explanation.

Since Katrijn is wearing a dress with an old label Disney The set would be USA and 1930s / 40s, I personally think that the dress was put on as a replacement later and was with another Disney doll. But who knows, a doll connoisseur or Disney connoisseur may be able to tell you something more.

Show original message
  • 752 messages
  • July 17, 2016 21:18
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Ted thanks for the transfer, I also transferred the amulets.

Show original message
  • 752 messages
  • July 04, 2016 11:11
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Kan this and these will be transferred to here

Show original message
  • 2,415 messages
  • March 12, 2015 14:13
added
prices
info pages
reviews

And are all those beautiful reference works already in CataWiki?

Show original message
  • 2 messages
  • March 11, 2015 20:41
added
prices
March 11, 2015 20:41

Thank you for the answer, Baron Celery!

Show original message
  • 1,110 messages
  • March 11, 2015 09:39