Go to page
25of 41
  • 2 messages
  • April 09, 2023 11:47
April 09, 2023 11:47
Hi, I recently bought an old antique city map of Amsterdam on the World of Maps & Travel webshop. They have really nice and authentic maps and city maps I would take a look there if I were you.
[Moderator - No advertising on the forum, after 8 years you better send him a PM]
Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 2 messages
  • July 08, 2020 19:34
July 08, 2020 19:34

Hi thank you for the tips and I also tried it myself with some old maps that I bought.

Finally ended up at this shop via via, they have neatly restored and framed my historical maps. recommended.

https://www.worldofmaps.nl

Show original message
  • 2 messages
  • June 17, 2014 18:53
June 17, 2014 18:53
Fine, but there was a buffet of 1200 grams of museum cardboard between the work and the board, because board is very harmful to your print because of color and glue substances.
Show original message
  • 9 messages
  • June 17, 2014 17:37
June 17, 2014 17:37

Hi!, gold frames:

See, I wish I had this tip sooner :-(

I've had the card hanging for some time now, and I have to say it looks very nice.

I had lightly misted the map on one table with a plant sprayer, over it

damp tea towel, then let it work for 20 minutes and then the tea towel

ironed dry.

Then frame the map directly (back hardboard, front, glass).

The end result was that the crease and ripples have been reduced by about 50%.

Greetings: Morpheus64.

Show original message
  • 2 messages
  • June 17, 2014 17:06
June 17, 2014 17:06

Hello Morpheus,

It is best not to iron at all.

Moisten the print slightly with a paint sprayer with distilled water, or a plant sprayer. Glue all around in the passe-partout. When drying, the print will shrink slightly and thus pull itself taut.

Place a glass plate on top while drying to prevent the passe-partout from deforming as well, then drying will also be slightly slower.

Be careful with moistening, otherwise it could happen that the print pulls itself in two.

Note: it is generally accepted that an antique print or map is not completely flat, it emphasizes the authenticity when it shows a wave or wrinkle here and there.

www.goudalijst.nl

Show original message
  • 2 messages
  • March 16, 2014 11:29
March 16, 2014 11:29

Hello,

My name is Bauke Hüsken, 40 years old from Eindhoven. I collect everything about my place of birth and residence in Eindhoven, especially in the historical-cartographic area. Think of old maps, street name books, address books, telephone directories, books, maps, prints, paintings. That kind of thing. In particular, I am looking for city maps of Eindhoven from Lecturis publishers (seven editions between 1922 and 1941). Street name books from the 54th edition or older are also very welcome! Who knows, there is someone who can help me with something. I myself have several books about the history of Eindhoven for sale.

Greetings
Bauke Hüsken
? Eindhoven

Show original message
  • 9 messages
  • January 13, 2014 15:39
January 13, 2014 15:39

Hi Teddy :-)

I'm experimenting with pages from a book.

However, the paper of the map has become stiffer and harder over time.

And I suspect that dry will not change the structure of the paper and the fold

and waves therefore do not go out.

I'm going to use your tip of the damp kitchen towel.

Only the iron remains, I have absolutely no cheese at all about ironing, lol.

I'll put it on lukewarm and then slowly ramp it up, and hope it works out well.

Thanks for the quick response : Morpheus64.

Show original message
Ted
VIP
  • 1,139 messages
  • January 13, 2014 15:03
added
prices
info pages
reviews

It is always best to try on an unimportant piece of paper (or a corner of the card that falls away during framing and also to keep an old kitchen towel between the iron and paper. age of the paper At most, the cloth is slightly damp.

Show original message
  • 9 messages
  • January 13, 2014 14:51
January 13, 2014 14:51

Hi!,

I have a map of the Netherlands 1846, 40x50cm.

Now I want to hang it in a frame with glass, but it has a decent center crease

and some waves.

I was thinking of smoothing the card on a flat surface first?

My question is, how wet should I make the card first and in what position should I iron?

(I don't want to stick the map anywhere, just think it looks nicer than the map

once flat)

Bvd for one comment : Morpheus64 :-)

Show original message
  • 431 messages
  • July 04, 2013 22:26
July 04, 2013 22:26

Some things have been said about the fact that shipping costs should not be increased to compensate for a low selling price, but in such a way as mentioned above you can really justify everything.

There is a misunderstanding here. Only the actual postage and a small surcharge for actually spent packaging costs of a maximum of € 1.50 may be charged.

Due to the multitude of rates charged by different carriers and the many countries where our sellers and buyers live, it is impossible to make a comprehensive table for this. That is why the rule applies that any overpaid shipping costs compared to the actual shipping costs can be claimed back from the seller.

Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • July 04, 2013 20:54
July 04, 2013 20:54

@VeilingmeesterM

Thank you for your phone call, everything has been clarified.

@baronselderie ea
To get back to the shipping costs:
What VeilingmeesterM against I told me that the shipping costs were so high because the seller has the packing work done by staff, that also costs money as well as a courier service which also costs money .. the amount of 25 euros would not even be able to cope.
The fact is that I I have a frame maker / art dealer myself and therefore have experience in sending frames (I only charge the shipping costs for shipping.)
It is not that complicated and expensive to send a frame.

Regarding frame, according to the advertisement is 55x66 cm. Not really big and can be shipped with great simplicity with TNT or another national provider.

One thing has been said about the fact that one should not increase the shipping costs to compensate for a low sales price, but so ' In one way as mentioned above you can really justify everything.
For example, I could also charge shipping costs of 40 euros .. It's just how well you can shit and think creatively / calculate.
Example : 20 minutes vv to the post office at 20 euros, shipping costs 6.75 euros, packaging material 4.70 euros, packing time 10 minutes = 10 euros and then you are already over 40 euros ... then you can count on it that you will never See another customer if you work like this!

I will stop, it is arranged and I can accidentally pick up the work in my hometown (instead of Arnhem) and the 25 euro shipping costs come return.
Admins / auctioneers and others: thanks again for the explanation, effort, etc. etc.

Show original message
  • 1,110 messages
  • July 04, 2013 19:35
added
prices
reviews

then I go deep into the dust

Show original message
  • 1 message
  • July 04, 2013 14:26
reviews
July 04, 2013 14:26

@ Taco: your purchase is ready at the supplier, I will also contact you by e-mail about this.

@ Baronselderie & amp; all: this is not a small object but something large, heavy and very vulnerable that simply entails higher shipping and handling costs. So nothing to worry about.

Show original message
  • 1,110 messages
  • July 04, 2013 12:15
added
prices
reviews

25 € Within NL for such a small thing, Usury is from such sellers. In principle, I do not buy the Item even if it is still so attractive report to the Auctioneer!

Not everyone mail `t unfortunately when something has been sent by the way when it has arrived you often hear nothing

Show original message
  • 1,567 messages
  • July 04, 2013 11:39
added
prices
reviews

Auction sellers are explicitly not supposed to offset their commission by charging insane shipping costs.

According to the Catawiki Auction Rules, you therefore have the right to get a refund of the overpaid shipping costs.

Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • July 04, 2013 11:18
July 04, 2013 11:18

Hello Baronselderie,

Regarding the 25 euro shipping costs: the product just comes from the Netherlands, Arnhem says the advertisement.

That's why I think the shipping costs are a bit offensive, but good. .the purchase was not too expensive, so on average it is not that bad ... on the other hand, product was 52 euros, shipping costs 25 .. that ratio is totally wrong.

The question regarding shipping concerns also that I received a neat message from another seller that the package was in the post, I also miss that here at all .. there is no sign of life and that is allowed if you tap 25 euros.

Fri. Regards,

Taco Popma

Show original message
  • 1,110 messages
  • July 04, 2013 09:56
added
prices
reviews

Hello Taco.

You can contact the Seller via Catawiki at any time via the Profile of the Catawiki User

At 25 € I assume that the Seller for you are abroad?

the 26/6 Paid the Seller checks the 27/6 Do in sentence PO Box Article paid he packs it Friday or the Weekend sent Monday then he has respected the 3 days held (Sunday does not count in the Post) if it indeed comes from abroad then it cannot be there the 3/7 there is a Week there is nothing

If it is sent within your own country, the 3 / 4 if everything runs perfectly Fast.

Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • July 03, 2013 22:13
July 03, 2013 22:13

Hello Rick,

I am a beginner on catawiki, had missed the auctioneer in this story!!
Learned something again, for which thanks... e-mail to the auctioneer has already been sent.

Fri. greeting,

Tacos Popma

Show original message
  • 1,567 messages
  • July 03, 2013 21:58
added
prices
reviews

@Taco,

First of all, I would contact the auctioneer who supervised the lot. He is the first point of contact and also acts as an intermediary between buyer and seller.

Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • July 03, 2013 21:51
July 03, 2013 21:51

Hello Baronselderie,

Regarding the 25 euro shipping costs: the product just comes from the Netherlands, Arnhem says the advertisement.

That's why I think the shipping costs are a bit offensive, but good. .the purchase was not too expensive, so on average it is not that bad ... on the other hand, product was 52 euros, shipping costs 25 .. that ratio is totally wrong.

The question regarding shipping concerns also that I received a neat message from another seller that the package was in the post, I also miss that here at all .. there is no sign of life and that is allowed if you tap 25 euros.

Fri. Regards,

Taco Popma

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • February 05, 2012 08:48
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Arwin,

You are right, in fact you say that it is because of the depiction in this case, for example, the province of Aceh of Indonesia and the other map of Aceh as a colony of the Netherlands.

While I thought the mountains, cities and coastline are the same so we're talking about the same.

The longer I think about it, the more I find your logic more logical ;-)

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • February 04, 2012 22:49

Well for me it makes perfect sense ;-) (the area that the map shows is Afghanistan but 2500 years ago !!!)

A country is much more than an area.
You also have to deal with the society and culture of the population.
You can't just classify a country under a completely different country just because it is in the same location.

In terms of approach there is also something to say for you logic, but it is simply impractical as soon as a change takes place in the current countries.

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • February 04, 2012 19:47
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@Arwin,

Completely fine, I have those maps because I collect the history of Aceh, I don't understand maps at all, that's why these weird questions and I don't understand structurally ;-), my own logic can sometimes be very illogical,

I agree with you, you have eaten more cheese than I have.

You can fill in Afghanistan with a map about Bactria, but that actually just doesn't make any sense.

Well for me it is quite logical ;-) (the area that the map shows is Afghanistan but 2500 years ago !!!)

Show original message
  • 1,463 messages
  • February 04, 2012 19:29

No, and the reason is just very practical

I repeat myself again.

The point is that countries come and go.
The moment you start importing current countries to old countries, because they were in the same area as the current countries, you will run into problems if such a current country disappears or is renamed.
The idea is that if countries disappear, for all items where that country is entered, the country name, using a script, moves to the field " Former countries and colonies " and a new name is created for the new land.
Then if you enter current countries for old maps, in such cases you will get a situation in which such a map contains a correct, and a nonsense former country.

That is why you just have to look at what is on the card and fill in only that.

And apart from this, I also just want to avoid being guided by opinions when filling in the info.

You can fill in Afghanistan with a map about Bactria, but that actually just doesn't make any sense.
Apart from the territory, they are completely different countries.
So just fill in strictly what is on the card, and do not come up with things yourself. (even if it is correct)

As a theme, Indonesia is fine, after all, it is about the history of that country.

Show original message
  • 1,890 messages
  • February 04, 2012 19:00
added
prices
info pages
reviews

No, you and I ran into the object simultaneously, sorry,

But now that is Indonesia so my logic says Indonesia but that is not the case (apparently)

Show original message
Go to page
25of 41