4of 4
  • 14 messages
  • February 13, 2020 22:16
February 13, 2020 22:16

I posted this question before, but then incorrectly / I posted this question before, but not in the wright manner. (English after dutch)

Dear people,

I am an avid collector. Art, objects, etc. (Mainly 'orientalist / from the MO. Besides the love for the aesthetic, I enjoy researching items and works. Searching for a piece of history through something tangible, or simply broadening knowledge - It is a time company where I enjoy it.

But, from my very first purchase ever, years ago, I can't figure out who the maker is. I would really love if someone can help me on my way, or even know who the painter is! Many thanks for thinking along. (The list does not provide any clues - it is not the original and of a recent date. When I bought it, I was told that the number '47 behind the signature is 1847 (I have my doubts). Also the salesman thought - I don't know why - that the painter could be French (I have my doubts again.)

Sincerely,

Robert Walker.

Dear all,

I am a avid collector. Art, objects etc. (Mainly Middle Eastern / 'orientalist' and some 'religious'. In addition to a love for the aesthetic, I like investigating items and works. I enjoy looking for a part of history through something tangible, or simply broadening knowledge.

But, sadly, I am unable to "attribute" the painting I bought, years back. I appreciate any information you could provide. Most of all I of course would love to know the painter. (The frame offers no clues- it isn't the original frame. When I bought it I was told the '47 that comes after the signature is 1847 (I have my doubts), also the seller thought -I don't know why - that the painter could be French (I again have my doubts.)

All the best,

Robert Walker

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • February 14, 2020 08:42
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Robert, you probably have a lot of knowledge yourself. This work seems to me to be the work of someone who knew what realistic painting was. The date may just as well be 1947, the manuscript also has a European appearance. Surely there are quite a few starting points to have the signing deciphered by an art connoisseur or literary amateur? It is not that unclear ............ What do you think about the name ??

Show original message
  • 14 messages
  • February 17, 2020 21:31
February 17, 2020 21:31

Goodbye Harry,

Regarding the knowledge; I learn every day, but I really fall in the category 'enthusiast' in relation to many. Thank you for your response!

I think it says' Braun 'or' Broun '47. I've been looking for a while, as said. What I 'learned' is the following:

-In the case of Broun: this is an existing Limburg, Northern French and especially Belgian surname. That leaned initial (s?) With that small cross line, you can see not only a J but everything in it: an F, an E, an L etc.

-Extra complicating is that quite a lot of Anglo-Saxon 'Browns' also sign as Broun.

- Someone who knows more than I thought the letters look NL, and he thought he was reasonably sure that the letters were mid-20th century.

-The muscle window is 'un-Dutch'

-Then another person pointed out to me: "the back shows a substance dried in the vertical direction. Can be far too thick applied varnish. But can also be glue, because the canvas has cracks in the same vertical direction. the paint layer and the canvas have therefore been rolled up, so the artwork may not have been created on this stretcher. "

- Almost everyone says that quality is 'sufficient' to suggest an academically trained maker. (Willem de Winter, known from Between Art and Kitsch, has once looked at a photo, through a shared knowledge. He thought it was a painting of 'high quality', he searched his database for Braun, but was able to find the name cannot be found.

So, all in all; I did have nice reactions, and also learned nice 'technical data' about the painting. But to date the maker remains unknown!

I

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,397 messages
  • February 18, 2020 17:14
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I had more Brocc ?? in mind.